Sunline

Saturday at Royal Randwick is the All Aged Stakes meeting.  I haven't always photographed this meeting, because it has always fallen at the end of a long summer and autumn which for me meant many consecutive weekends on the road.  This year is one of those years where I can't make it.  

As always, I feel pangs of regret at missing what is a fine WFA race over 1400m at headquarters.  It has been won by true champions, including one of the true darlings and champions of the turf, the mighty Sunline.  This great champion from New Zealand was bred and owned until she turned 3 years old by one of my great friends, Susan Archer.  I didn't photograph either of Sunline's 2 All Aged victories.  I'll always regret that.  I did photograph her winning both of her Doncaster Handicaps and both of her Cox Plates.  For this I'll always be grateful.

It reminds me of a great line out of the movie I've been watching tonight, "The Dish":
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret"
I admire people who have a throw at the stumps and aren't afraid to try.  And what of those people who find doing this a little bit difficult?   I remain hopeful they will eventually roll the dice.  From a horse racing perspective it is the connections of horses that were game enough to try for greatness rather than running away from risk in the event that they were defeated. 

1999 Doncaster Handicap - Sunline as an autumn 3 year old filly.
1999 Cox Plate - Sunline as a 4 year old mare

2000 Cox Plate - do you remember this?  Sunline as a 5 year old mare
2002 Doncaster Handicap - they said she was finished.  Sunline as a 6 year old mare (rising 7 actually).

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses