"I will kiss you in four places....."

Today was the Cox Plate.  I've had a busy few days.  As my readers can probably guess, by the fact that I've not written anything for several days.  I went in to today hoping and dreaming (as I am prone to do, a girl can dream, can't she????) that my "New Boy", It's a Dundeel, could pull off the impossible and win the Cox Plate despite the troublesome time he's had with his foot abscess.  He didn't win. He was posted wide, had a torrid run, and finished 8th.  I felt bitterly disappointed.  I was proud of my other Arrrowfield "Boy", in Snitzel though, who sired his first Cox Plate winner when the maiden 3yo Shamus Award prevailed narrowly.  But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the result today, because I truly did want Chappie, as they affectionately call Dundeel, to win.  And the result also highlighted the loss of recently retired mare Atlantic Jewel, and made us wonder what might have been.

The atmosphere in the Press Room was as warm and friendly as ever.  And the day went swiftly, as these days are tiring and hard work.  The real highlight for me though, following the disappointment at the scratching of "AJ" and the failure of Dundeel to overcome all his setbacks, was meeting my 2nd cousin once removed Mark Seymour, of Hunters and Collectors fame.  My truly ace sister Caroline was able to later tell me what the family relationship was.  All Mark and I could come up with at the time was "are you a McInerney????" to which I excitedly said 'yes!!!!'.
"I will come for you at nighttime
I will raise you from your sleep
I will kiss you in four places
As I go running along your street
I will squeeze the life out of you
You will make me laugh and make me cry
And we will never forget it
You will make me call your name
And I'll shout it to the blue summer sky
You will throw your arms around me..."
When Mark sang his famous song, "Throw your arms around me" I had tears in my eyes as I struggled to photograph it.  There was a punter watching me photograph him, and I found myself hoping he couldn't see the tear sliding down my cheek.  Such is the poignancy of this very great song. My great buddy Mark Gatt ran over and took the photos of Mark and me for me!  He is so great to me...

As I write this, I put the song on my iPhone....  the crowd's reaction to Mark singing this song was one to behold me.  And as I walked up the straight, to where I would photograph the race from, the crowd as one were still singing his song..  Great theatre... Darryl Braithwaite, eat your heart out.....
"I dreamed of you at nighttime
And I watched you in your sleep
I met you in high places
I touched your head and touched your feet
So if you disappear out of view
You know I will never say goodbye
And though I try to forget it
You will make me call your name
And I'll shout it to the blue summer sky..."






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses