Points of Difference. And making a Difference.

On Sunday I spent some time on the phone with a friend.  Discussing the future, my future plans and the things that set my work apart from other.  As I said in an earlier post, I've been genuinely touched by the support shown to us from the people in our life who we actually matter to.

Then yesterday I had another hour phone call, when a former colleague phoned me.  He used to be the Picture Editor at the Daily Telegraph, and he's a terrific person and I think he's one of those exceptional photographers.  He's responsible for some truly remarkable images with Lauren Huxley and Sophie Delezio and he also has the capacity to develop strong relationships with his subjects, and earn their trust, and repays this faith in high quality and intimate imagery that documents a period of time, and the emotions that go along with it.  We talked about how similar our styles were, and what fun we would have sitting down together and working out an assignment to tackle and how there are times when the ideas just come bubbling out for potential shoots.  He still believes in the profession and in the power of the still image, and it's place in our society.

He's developing a new image platform, and I'll be working with him on this, and it was reassuring talk to him, and hear his comments on where the various strengths of my work lie (outside of just a straight quality aspect).  So I really enjoyed the conversation and discussions about the future directions I can take my work, particularly as it relates to my move to a new location in Melbourne.  And having just gasped when opening those dreaded window envelopes, bearing the new gas and electricity bills, the subject of future earning potential is never far from my mind.   I have tried pretty hard to keep the heaters down low, but the bill is still high enough to make me wince and bit my lip...

I pause, and put my music on through the fancy new iPhone speaker dock, and come across one of my favourite songs I hadn't listened to in months and months, called "Hey There Delilah", by the Plain White T's...  It's gentle, melodic, and calming...
"Hey there Delilah
Don't you worry about the distance
I'm right there if you get lonely
Give this song another listen
Close your eyes
Listen to my voice, it's my disguise
I'm by your side"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses