Once in a Lifetime

I had an interesting phone call this afternoon from an ace ex Pic Editor of a major masthead newspaper.  He was always a good bloke, and I liked him a lot.  I think he always like the work and could see its merit.  He rang me today to talk about the future.  I listen to Talking Heads play on my iPhone "Once in a Lifetime", as I try to get my computer migration to happen in the background.
And you may ask yourself, how do I work this?
And you may ask yourself, where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself; this is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself; this is not my beautiful wife!

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again, after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground.
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

What is the significance of an image the moment I take it, or at the end of that day?  I don't know.  What is it's significance a year later?  Or 10 years later?  I don't know those answers either.  What I do know is that he thought my scanning discovery last night was excellent, and thinks that there's some good material there. 

It was lovely that he thought to call me, and to ask me the question.  We had a little joke at his reluctance last year as Pic Ed to pay proper money for a set of fabulous images of a very famous and fabulous broodmare and her $5 million colt!  He thought it was funny too.  I think that Black Caviar is a Once in a Lifetime horse.  And the connections with her family go on and on it would appear. As always, on going in and reading the terms and conditions I feel a bit at sea and wonder what is the best and right thing to do. A sounding board, in someone you trust, is always valuable and reassuring, in these instances. Still. It is important to look forward and not back. And I like the fact that there is recognition that the contents of my library are special. And important.

Postscript:  Just before I go to take the kids swimming, my computer finished migrating.  Will Mail work??????? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....  Walking off in disgust. I will have to await further advice from the lovely David at Apple. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses