Déjà vu?

It's the 2nd day of February.  Today is cooler thanks to a cool change that finally swept across the ACT late yesterday.  Unlike Melbourne in Canberra the cool changes have been few and far between.  My little house reflects the outside temperatures fairly closely and we've found the heat difficult to bear.  This feels far more comfortable.


There's been many ups and downs this last 12 months.  Happily, one of the ups is still with us.  The Famous Pony Black Caviar.  Last January, when I was being a Carlton Girl, I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with The Pony.  We did a few beach visits, a trial (gallop), and she raced at Moonee Valley during my time there.

Last February???  Well, apart from The Pony, it was horrible.  She helped balance the ledger just a little bit as she raced to 2 wonderfully courageous and brilliant wins in the CF Orr Stakes (1400m) then the Lightning Stakes (1000) a week later.  Some of my handiwork with The Famous Pony from this time last year at the end of this post.

Last March??  Well it began painfully, although there were later promises of a better future. On 17 March 2012 (the day this image was taken) we found our house and it was a watershed day.  Looking at  it reminds me that I still need to take my favourite boots in to have the zipper replaced!  The ensuing months contained both wonderful and bittersweet moments, with some huge triumphs, but also some crushing lows and many  suffocating and awful Black Holes.

The Famous Pony will step out on track for the first time today, in her little exhibition gallop, which is rapidly being turned into a circus by so many people, and has me worried about the well being of my Pony.  Moody wants her to not have any of these hysterics this campaign, no nonsense and just let her be a horse.  I wish that could be the case.

I am unlikely to be back in Melbourne until 16 February. Heath and Jessica's flights are booked to accompany me, as they will see our Pony race for the first time.  Jessica is currently using her new paints, and is doing Black Caviar paintings.  Being bothered, as usual, by the inquisitive and Bad Ass Kitty, our darling Maxie. My mum has just given me a little lecture, saying I shouldn't let him sleep with me, but I need him right now, so sorry Mum, but I have to ignore you on that one.

I have a little plan at the back of my mind for how I want to tackle her race.  It would be better if I could split myself in half and have 2 of me there.  But all plans for that sort of approach to my work went flying.  Still, I will produce the goods just as well on my own. 

24 January 2012.  Heatwave....  a killer one too.  Water was so warm on that day, I was in the water with her up to my waist, juggling cameras.
Black Caviar and Vanessa Bartlett.  Published in The Age and in the SMH, and well, in all sorts of places really.  A popular image.  Taken 24 January 2012.

27 January 2012.  "Black Caviar - Made in Victoria"  "London Calling"..  "Australia Today...  Tomorrow the world!". It was heady stuff for the Famous Pony.

27 January 2012.  Back as good as ever in the G2 Australia Stakes.

17 January 2012.  Winning an unofficial trial at Caulfield by 6 lengths.  Her length of stride and its elasticity is something to behold.
11 February 2012.  The CF Orr Stakes (G1).  1400m for the first time.  It made absolutely no difference and I absolutely agree with Moody.  She would win over a mile if he asked her to do it.




18 January 2012.  Back to 1000m and a rejuvenated Hay List in the G1 Lightning Stakes.  It was no matter..





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses