Another treasure? Atlantic Jewel and Black Caviar. It's Girl Power right now..

We have the undisputed star of the Australian Turf, and my personal darling and favourite, in Black Caviar, or Nelly, or The Famous Pony as I frequently call her.  And this spring another jewel has emerged in Atlantic Jewel.  She's a member of the fairer sex, or the tougher sex as I like to think of us girls, and she's also unbeaten.  She has an eon to go before she matches the deeds of the Famous Pony, but she's clearly a very special horse.  Alas, like Nelly, she's also suffered a setback, with the news today that the filly has strained a hamstring and alas and woe, is out of the VRC Oaks.  Her name?  Atlantic Jewel... 

I've only photographed her twice.  First in the G1 Thousand Guineas and second was yesterday's Wakeful Stakes.  Both races have seen me come away shaking my head, marvelling at what I had just witnessed and fortunately photographed.  Every time her lovely trainer Mark Kavanagh has stepped her up, she's risen to the occasion.  Like Nelly, she's a star, and I hope to see a lot more of her in the future...

Atlantic Jewel (Fastnet Rock - Regard) wins the G2 Wakeful Stakes on 29 October 2011.  She was ridden by Michael Rodd and is trained by Mark Kavanagh, and it was her 5th successive win in her unbeaten career to date.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses