Up a bit, left a bit, down a bit

On Tuesday afternoon I returned to Neville Layt's stables and had another chat with him, and spent some more time with the flaxen maned filly, Karuta Queen.  At the last minute, as I got my camera gear out of my car, I locked up, then thought better of it, unlocked Dan's boot (Dan's my car by the way), and put 4 of Freelance's sugar cubes in my vest pocket.  Just in case.  Neville had already told me she didn't know a carrot from an apple, but there's no harm in trying, right????


So down I went.  Everyone was there, and it was a nice and friendly environment. My good friend Susan Archer, from Arrowfield, had already emailed through the link to this Blog's story and photographs from the morning workout, and Neville commented on this, and said they all loved the photographs.  Because she'd worked this morning, and had the float trip, Neville wasn't going to get her out of the box this afternoon unless I was desperate to do so.  I never like interrupting the usual routine of horses, so this was fine with me.  I had such glorious images from this morning, and was happy just to take whatever presented itself.  I wandered over to the filly, and fetched one of the sugar cubes out of my pocket, and proceeded to patiently stand there, as my hand became coated in sugar, but had a small sense of triumph and pleasure when her very first sugar cube was consumed.  Atta girl!  She's not sure about them, but they are an acquired taste, and I have time on my side!


One bonus was being there for the little chiropractic session she had.  I took the images below, although it made me wince on occasions!  I have a bad neck, and have had the odd session, but admit that I grimace and brace against being 'cracked' and don't really enjoy it!  I played with the other ponies there, gave a particularly lovely individual 2 sugar cubes, who again, had never had one before, but we worked through that just fine!  Most horses have sweet tooths, and is only a matter of time when it comes to sugar cubes.  After all, if the mighty Phar Lap loved them, what more is there to say!!!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses