Oil and Diamonds

I spent last Saturday at Caulfield Racecourse.  It was Blue Diamond Stakes Day, and it is a race meeting that I photograph each year because of the wonderful fields it usually draws, and the fact that I love being at Caulfield so much.  

This year a colt, sired by Elusive Quality (the sire in America of superstar Smarty Jones) and out of the Danehill mare Watchful started a raging favourite.  His name was Sepoy, and he was bred and owned by Darley Australia.  I do a lot of work for Darley.  They are a valued client of mine, and I like the team very much.  

It was therefore with great pleasure that I watched Sepoy absolutely run away with the Blue Diamond Stakes.  It is rare to see a 2 year old remain unbeaten, and even rarer to see them dominate their races so completely.  He'd done this in his lead up races, but we've seen this before, and many come with huge reputations to the Group 1 race and fall apart.  Sepoy is the exception though, and he just strolled away from the field.  The Darley team were ecstatic, and it was lovely to see.  They are down to earth, friendly, and highly professional and so I felt very pleased for them.  I snuck off after the horse left too so I could get some shots of the little pony Sepoy being hosed too, and that was a lot of fun.  























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses