Caulfield Cup Day

The Caulfield Cup. It's time honoured. And in 2010 it was probably the closest that this very famous race has come in recent years to being called off. A huge, and I mean HUGE, rain event descended on eastern Australia the day before the race, accompanied by a wickedly savage cold front. I was flying into the front that evening, and those who know me know that I do NOT enjoy flying! I think Melbourne took over 50mm of rain the day before. It poured and poured all day in Canberra too, with so much water that when I went to feed the horse, there were rivers rushing along the rode and a nearly soaked horse. Back on went the heavy winter rug, as the temperature began to plummet.

And yet while there were showers and hail early, the day was better than we dared to hope for. It did start raining just before the Cup, and it was freezing, but it was a good day. And basically, being back at the track in Melbourne is always a nice experience as you catch up with friends and as a collective group, we try your best to preserve an important event for the public memory. So 2010's Caulfield Cup day was no exception in this respect.

Descarado, sired by none other than High Chaparral, gave his trainer Gai Waterhouse her first victory in the big Melbourne Spring Carnival 'Majors', of the Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup. She's had placings before, but never trained the winner. I felt good from a photographic point of view, because not only had I picked out the winner during the first time post the post (ok, that was more good luck than anything, although I did like him in the race..), and because the big lens produced some nice, honest emotion shots.

As usual, when Gai wins something big, the mounting yard turns into a media scrum, which of course I hate. But I did enjoy being on track that day. There were scenes of genuine emotions that day. And I always enjoy that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joyous Family

The Legacy of Eight Carat: From the Vault Volume I

The physical drain of riding horses